Home / The Catskills
The Catskills have been a vacation paradise for many generations of visitors. About an hour north of New York City, this region offers great outdoor adventures and legendary hospitality.
With awesome natural beauty, legendary hospitality, and close proximity to New York City, The Catskills have attracted vacationers for many generations.
Enjoy great outdoor adventures on thousands of acres of forest preserve with high peaks and breathtaking views. You can swim and kayak in mountain lakes and fish in some of the world’s best trout streams. The 19-mile Catskill Scenic Trail is perfect for hiking, biking and horseback riding. Go whitewater rafting or pitch your tent at scenic campgrounds like North-South Lake.
Stay at a family-friendly dude ranch, country inn or mountaintop resort like Windham or Hunter, with golf, mountain biking and summer chairlift rides. Hunter Mountain also features the longest and highest zipline canopy tour in North America, offering magnificent views at 50 miles per hour!
You’ll find great ways to slow down, too. Follow the Upper Delaware Scenic Byway along the river to dramatic vistas and charming villages. Explore the Catskill Fly Fishing Center on Willowemoc Creek, the birthplace of American fly fishing, or step back to the Golden Age of railroading on the Delaware & Ulster’s Rip Van Winkle Flyer.
Amid picturesque countryside, discover antique shops, farm markets and unique attractions like the world’s largest kaleidoscope at Mount Tremper and Zoom Flume Water Park. Mountain Wings in Ellenville offers lessons in hang gliding, paragliding and ultra-lighting. Take in a concert at Bethel Woods, where a museum celebrates the fabulous Sixties at the site of the 1969 Woodstock Music Festival.
In Woodstock, browse the shops and galleries and tour the historic Byrdcliffe arts and crafts colony. Beautiful landscapes here inspired 19th-century artist Thomas Cole, founder of the Hudson River School. From the porch of Cedar Grove, his home in Catskill, you can see the mountain scenery he painted.
THE CATSKILLS MUST-SEES
• Bear Spring Mountain | Downsville
• Belleayre Mountain | Highmount
• Catskill Fly Fishing Center & Museum | Livingston Manor
• Catskill Mountains | Regionwide
• Delaware River canoe trips | Various locations
• Eldred Preserve Resort | Eldred
• Kaaterskill Falls | Haines Falls
• New York Zipline Adventure Tours, Hunter Mountain | Hunter
• North-South Lake Campground | Haines Falls
• Sam’s Point Preserve | Cragsmoor
• Town Tinker Tube Rental | Phoenicia
• Windham Mountain | Windham
• Catskill Mountain Railroad | PhoeniciaBoiceville
• Delaware & Ulster Railroad | Arkville
• Healing Waters Farm | Walton
• Plattekill Mountain Resort | Roxbury
• Zoom Flume Water Park | East Durham
• Hanford Mills Museum | East Meredith
• Holiday Mountain Ski & Fun Park | Monticello
• Catskill Mountain County Store | Windham
Green Heart NY
• Basha Kill Wildlife Management Area | Wurtsboro
• Anitques and Pottery Trail | Regionwide
• Emerson Country Store | Mt Tremper
• Town of Woodstock