Home / Central New York
Central New York
Amid rolling hills, picturesque farmland and geological wonders, attractions in Central New York showcase great American art, ingenuity and adventures, as well as historic moments in baseball and the perfect apple pie. Country lanes lead to orchards, roadside farm stands and charming historic inns.
The Erie Canal stretches through the heart of this graceful region, offering many options for scenic cruises, canal side strolls and biking. Discover geological wonders and unique attractions amid rolling hills and picturesque farmland. Country roads lead to charming inns and farm markets selling fresh local produce. The historic Route 20 Scenic Byway highlights roadside Americana.
Costumed guides recreate American history at Fort Stanwix National Monument, a full-scale timber fort in Rome. Learn the stories of people who survived harsh conditions along the Oneida Carrying Place, and follow their footprints on the superhighway of the 18th Century. Nearby, explore the museum and shops of the recreated 1840s Erie Canal Village. An elevator takes you down to see amazing rock formations at Howe Caverns, voted one of the Top 5 Northeast Family Attractions by Disney’s Family Fun readers. You can fish or picnic beside a spectacular 167-foot waterfall at Chittenango Falls State Park.
Attractions in Cooperstown include the Fenimore Art Museum, with whimsical folk art, and lakeside opera at the Glimmerglass Festival, described as “magical” by the London Times. Watch craft demonstrations at The Farmers’ Museum, a recreated 1845 farmstead and village. The National Baseball Hall of Fame reflects American history through exhibits and stories about our national pastime.
Sports fans also enjoy the Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota and the championship golf course at Turning Stone Resort. In Utica, tour the historic Saranac Brewery and see works by great American artists like Thomas Cole and Winslow Homer at the Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute. Ride one of Greater Binghamton’s six antique carousels, see exotic animals at the Binghamton Zoo, or shop on Binghamton’s Antique Row, with some of the best galleries this side of Chelsea.
CENTRAL NEW YORK MUST-SEES
• Chittenango Falls State Park | Cazenovia
• Gems Along the Mohawk & Lil’ Diamond cruises | Herkimer
• Golf | Various locations throughout the region
• Mine Kill State Park & the NY Power Project Visitors Center| Gilboa & North Blenheim
• Erie Canal Village | Rome
• The Farmers’ Museum | Cooperstown
• International Boxing Hall of Fame | Canastota
• National Baseball Hall of Fame & Museum | Cooperstown
• Northeast Classic Car Museum | Norwich
• Fort Stanwix National Monument | Rome
• Old Stone Fort Museum | Schoharie
• Adirondack Scenic Railroad | Utica-Old Forge
• Binghamton Zoo at Ross Park | Binghamton
• Herkimer Diamond Mines | Herkimer
• Howe Caverns | Howes Cave
• Roberson Museum & Science Center | Binghamton
• Sylvan Beach Amusement Park | Sylvan Beach
• Towns in Cooperstown, Madidon, Bouckville, Clinton and the Schoharie Valley